Barbora Balejova
grammar, future tense Can you help me with the sentence? why in the sentence " All our evidence shows that global warming will increase considerably" is used will instead of going to ? Isn´t it prediction based on evidence? thank you
5
2
“Going to” is used for intentions or future plans. “Will” is for spontaneous decisions, conditionals and previsions. This is a prevision case: Due to the evidence, global warming could increase. We don’t know whether it will happen but the evidence shows it will. Does it help you?
English Grammar in Use 4th edition, p.44 "When we predict a future happening or situation, we use WILL/WON'T." The sentence "... global warming WILL INCREASE considerably," predicts a future happening. p. 40. "You can also say that 'something IS GOING TO HAPPEN' in the future." Both "... global warming WILL INCREASE" and "... global warming IS GOING TO INCREASE" are correct.
I can understand those exercises you recommended me but still this sentence I asked is not clear for me
thank you I have this book, I´ll check it
The text is normal, correct English. If you don't have a grammar book, I recommend the excellent book English Grammar in Use by Murphy. A paper copy is affordable and a PDF is floating about the net. See unit 22.
Barbora Balejova
English, Slovak