Hanji
What is the difference between 'as' and 'since' for describing the reasons? 1) I didn't wash the dishes by hands as there was a dishwasher. 2) I didn't wash the dishes by hands since there was a dishwasher. 3) I didn't wash the dishes by hands because there was a dishwasher. Are the prepositions the same work? Can I use any of them anytime? Thank you.
4
0
All the options are grammatically correct, however, using "since" or "as" is for talking about the fact (you didn't wash the dishes by hands), and using "because" is for telling "the story" focusing on the reason, why something was the way it was (cause there was a dishwasher). I hope it helps, :)
"Because" is used when we want to focus on the reason (there was a dishwasher). "As" and "since" are used when we want to focus on the result (I didn't wash the dishes by hand). In this example, I think the primary thought is the fact that you washed the dishes by hand, so I would use 1 or 2. However, it depends on context. If someone asked you "Why didn't you wash the dishes by hand?" then 3 would be more appropriate, because your focus is to give the reason.
Hanji