saeiiiid
Why past tense? Hello dear native speakers I was reading an article here : https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newscientist.com/article/2214829-bananas-have-benefited-from-climate-change-but-they-wont-in-future/amp/ There is a sentence (5th paragraph) that I doubt about its grammaticality: Temperatures in the future were assumed to follow two of the UN climate science panel’s worst scenarios. Why the verb is "were" while it is talking about "future"? Thakks
4
1
Hi Saeiid, The sentence is about the *assumption* about the future temperatures. The assumption was made in the past, so that’s what is used to talk about it.
Irene is correct and explained it simply and concisely. Temperatures were assumed to follow two of the UN science panel's future climate worst case scenarios, It is always possible to write English sentences in another word order. Removing the word "future" away from the word "were" may possibly make it clearer, but I think it needs to be rewritten from scratch.
saeiiiid
English, Persian (Farsi)