歆霏Hermione
Community Tutor
Do these sentences sound strange? 1. I should prevent myself from eating too much ice-cream. 2. I should stop eating too much ice-cream. 3. I should quit eating ice-creams. 4. I should avoid eating too much ice-cream.
8
0
I should exercise restraint next time I walk past a Haagen-Dazs shop as I stroll along Zhong Shan Lv! Let's add restraint to prevention, stopping, quitting, cessation and avoidance. How about detour? sidestep, shun? https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/avoid
None of these sentences is entirely natural, perhaps because of the nature of eating ice-cream - it is something you choose to do and of course it should be done with the idea of pleasure rather than compulsion or need in mind. 'too much' vs 'so much'. Three of these sentences could and perhaps should be written with 'so much' rather than 'too much'. Why do I see 'c' twice in 'eating' - Is your brain anticipating the 'c' of ice-cream and instructing your finger to stray to the bottom of the keyboard? 'Prevent' suggests physical restraint - so I get the image of Hermione chained, perhaps like Atlas carrying the world on his shoulders, to restrain you from grabbing yet another ice cream
There are some interesting differences between these four words. The word, STOP, primarily means to bring to a halt or end movement. You could say, I stopped him from eating the rest of the ice cream by knocking it out of his hand. You physically stopped him! The word, QUIT, means to give up or cease. You could say, I want to give up eating ice cream. I will quit! I will never eat it again. The word, PREVENT, means to take action in advance. You could say, I wrote a list of things to buy at the grocery store. It did not include ice cream. Having this list prevented me from buying ice cream. The word, AVOID, primarily means staying away or at a distance. You could say, I avoid opening the freezer door. If I don't see the container, I don't think about eating ice cream. I do what I can to avoid ice cream. I hope this helps.
4. Sounds really good, it’s correct, 3. I should quite eating ice-cream (without “s”, cause it’s a noncount noun.), 2. Is correct, 1. Is correct. I hope it helps, :)
歆霏Hermione
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Russian