Ali
"I've been poisoned." vs "I'm poisoned." What's the difference? Imagine someone ate something and after a few moments s/he feels nauseous. How can I use these phrases correctly? And how native speakers of English say?
7
0
You can say it both ways Ali. First one is for the past, so you can say “I’ve been poisoned twice in my life”, or call to the doctor and say “I’ve been poisoned! What should I do?”. Second one is for the present, “I am poisoned by the food from x place”. Which one to use depends on the context so much. I am not a native speaker Ali, but I hope it helps, :)
Hi Ali, We wouldn't use it in the present simple ever. When something has 'just' happened - present perfect all the time. It is an action that has just happened with a result in the present. I've answered your question ;) I've been poisoned We can add the 'just' to imply immediate past. But the situation can also imply that without the word 'just' :) The wonderful present perfect! Siobhan :)
Hi Ali, In your scenario, s/he would say "I feel nauseous. I think I have been poisoned." However, out of the two phrases in your question, "I've been poisoned" would be the phrase a native English speaker would use. To say "I have (I've) been" refers to the past tense. "Poisoned" is also past tense and suggests that someone else has already done the poisoning to you. (Which would be correct in this situation because you are using the same two tenses in the sentence). To say "I am (I'm)" refers to the present, something that is happening now while "poisoned" is past tense, something that already happened. Mixing the two tenses (past and present) in the same sentence is what causes it to sound unnatural.
(Accidentally answered via "Comment" instead of "Answers" section below. Please see below.)
Ali
English, Persian (Farsi), Portuguese
English, Portuguese