Stan
现在 - what time interval is appropriate? I have used 现在 to express “right now” and “now, as distinguished from in the past”. I’m supposing that there are other nuanced ways of expressing “now”. Like how do you express “in these modern times”, as in “these days, few people write on paper”? Or something more immediate like “last year I drove to the library; these days I bike”. Surely these are not all 现在?
5
1
現在=now 現代=nowadays 最近=recently 現今、這年頭、這些日子、目前=currently These are all similar yet there is subtle difference depending on the context. It may take a few pages to explain. But the more you practice, I am sure you will get the hang of it.
If I write a article to make a comment to something. I will use "当下"or"当今"to express"现在",If I tell stories or my past experience to others I will use "这时候"or"突然"to attract people's attention and make my expression attractive.But in daily communication the most we use is 现在.
现在 is the most common and informal way to express now and therefore you hear it a lot in conversation. if you are writing a paper there are other ways to express a similar meaning 现代 - modern times 目前 - currently 当时 - at the time (referring to something past tense) 最近 - recently 去年 - last year 这些天 - these days
Stan
Chinese (Mandarin)