Andrés
Improving an accent What is the best way of improving a particular accent of English in your opinion? How should I stick to it constantly, not getting influenced by different accents of your speaking partners. What are your thoughts? I appreciate your advice! Best regards.
7 de sep de 2019 20:48
7
0
I find the best way is to consume media with the particular dialect you'd like to acquire. Movies, music, shows, etc, and try to find people who use it. Memorizing short speeches or phrases helps you get used to what sounds are native to the dialect, and longer monologues should help with what words are more common in that dialect as well. One caveat with movies and what not is the writers and actors usually do a good job of emulating it, but it's not always exact. Specific types of media like documentaries, reality shows, and news casts should help you hear people who really use the dialect rather than those who are just acting.
7 de Septiembre de 2019
I’d say your best bet is to either get a dialect coach or if you’re looking to save money at the expense of a larger time investment, try some techniques yourself. One of those is shadowing: pick a dialect you like, select s bunch of content with it, watch a segment and try to emulate it right after. Really try to replicate a person’s accent. You can try with stronger/clearer/funnier ones and as you progress, go for the realer/more nuanced ones. Good luck with your studies and practice. If you need help, feel free to ask. You can do it!
8 de Septiembre de 2019
Thank you for the advice.
10 de Septiembre de 2019
Studying phonology and phonetics can help. Do your research about the articulation of sounds in a particular language that you are interested in (e.g., American English). Take a look at pictures that illustrate where you place your tongue to articulate a specific sound. Then, you can compare these patterns with pronunciation in British English. If you have further questions, please reach out to me and I will be happy to help you. Best, Diana
8 de Septiembre de 2019
Andrés
Chinese (Mandarin), Czech, English, Hungarian, Polish, Russian, Spanish
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Russian, Spanish