Mikhail Martalog
It's not TO BE supposed / It's commonly supposed. Is it right? Why? Thank you in advance How to use "BE SUPPOSED" at a question, negative and positive forms. Thank you!
7
0
POSITIVE: I'm supposed to arrive before the party starts. It's supposed to be fun. NEGATIVE: You aren't supposed to smoke in here. She isn't supposed to yell at customers. or You're not supposed to smoke in here. She's not supposed to yell at customers. QUESTION: Are we supposed to bring gifts? Am I supposed to take notes? NEGATIVE QUESTION: Aren't you supposed to take notes? Isn't that movie supposed to be boring? Note that the answer for a NEGATIVE QUESTION is assumed to be "yes." Sometimes this is used as a rhetorical question. For example, I know that you're supposed to take notes, and I'm actually just reminding you to do so. Other times, I'm fairly certain that the answer is yes, but I am still asking for your answer. For example, I heard from several people that the movie was boring, but I am still asking for your opinion.
Gdanning, Thank you! Why "IT IS TO BE supposed" instead "IT IS supposed"?
Got it. Thanks for clarifying :)
"If it is to be supposed that the stock market crashes soon, then . . ." is the same as saying, "Suppose the stock market crashes soon. If it does, then . . ."
My apologies. How to use "BE SUPPOSED" at a question, negative and positive forms. Thank you!
Mikhail Martalog
English, Russian, Ukrainian
English, Ukrainian