Fernando
Feel/feel like Hi, there Should I say “felt” “or “felt like” in these sentences? “The colonists were referring to what they FELT/FELT LIKE Great Britain was doing to their lives and livelihoods”? “He is calling out those who said something horrible and got raked over the coals for what they FELT/FELT LIKE wasn't that big of a deal.”? Thank you
5
1
“Like” has so many different uses in English- both grammatically correct uses and it’s ubiquitous in slang, as well. In this particular case, I would use “felt” for both although either is acceptable. I don’t think “felt like” (felt as if) changes the meaning in this case so why add the word? If anything, it sounds more casual/ conversational using “felt like” in this context.
But which one is right in each example?
"Feel" means have feelings about something. "Feel like" means "to want very much". Now you can decide.
please
Fernando
English, French, Portuguese