diana neves
so vs too and what vs how Hello I was given the following phrases to complet. 1 - "He hopes to excavate making use of a new robot that uses sound to make a computer plan of the wreck, and in this way create an accurate picture of WHAT the ship looked like" - in there the correct answer was WHAT but I have put HOW. Can someone please explain why? 2- "Business owners who install security lights may face legal action if their lights are SO bright..." In here I have put TOO. why is SO the correct answer? Thank you in advance for your help
4
1
What it looks like is referring to what the ship looks like. How would be used if they were looking for a way to excavate the ship. The entire phrase would be different. "He hopes to excavate making use of a new robot that uses sound to make a computer plan of the wreck, and in this way create an accurate picture of HOW the ship is laying or if it is stable, and to see how the seabed looks" What = how it looks they are going to excavate anyway. How = how is the situation can the ship be excavated? So = very so the lights are very bright. TOO bright would equal the lights are very bright, I don't think people would make a distinction they would use either word. But grammatically so = the lights were intense and broke the law. And too bright = more than needed but not breaking the law. You can read about "so" and "too" here http://www.englishteachermelanie.com/understanding-so-and-too-english-grammar-lesson/
1) "How" is mostly used to ask for instructions or frequency. --> "How do I get to the bank?" --> "How often do you play tennis?" "What" is mostly used to ask for information or descriptions. ---> "What does it look like?" ---> "What is your favorite food?" So the example in (1) should be "what" as it is taking about a description of what the ship looks like. 2) - "so/really/very" can be used for both positive and negatives. - "too" is only used for negatives. So I would actually disagree that "so" is the only correct answer because I personally would have used "too" because the sentence is talking about how something was so bright that legal action might be taken; which of course is a very serious negative.
I agree with Gdanning. Given the context you have given, 'too' is correct. But what does the the ellipsis represent? It it was something like "...that they blind drivers", then it has to be "so".
1. You say "how it looks" or "what it looks like" but never "how it looks like." Also they mean different things. If I ask "how does it look?" the answer is "good" or "bad." If I ask "what does it look like?" I am asking for a description ("It looks like a treasure chest") 2. "So" only works if there is a previous sentence, because "so" refers back to something said earlier. "I was going to install 100 watt bulbs, but was told I could face legal action if my lights are so bright."
diana neves
English, French, Portuguese, Spanish
English, French, Spanish