Giada
Short story lines: meaning of "lost" Hello everyone! I was just reading a story when I found this sentence: "The note in her voice was not lost on the man by her side." What does "lost" mean here? Thank you so much:)
6
0
Phrase: to be lost on someone If something is lost on someone, it means that a person didn't understand something because it was too subtle. We often use this phrase when someone fails to notice a veiled insult or subtle joke. In this case, the note in her voice was NOT lost on the man. This means that the man was perceptive enough to pick up something significant in the woman's tone of voice.
It means the man did not miss the note in her voice. He heard it or noticed it.
Su.Ki's response is great. I wanted to note a common phrase: "you lost me" = I was understanding what you were saying, but you just said something I dont understand. A similar phrase us "I don't follow you" (or sometimes just "I don't follow")
Giada
English, French, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Turkish
English, Norwegian, Swedish, Turkish