Kseniia
Enclosure Hi! Can someone please help me with one paragraph? It's from this Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enclosure "...As examples of engrossing in the neighbourhood of Dorchester, the writer instances the manors of Came, Whitcomb, Muncton, and Bockhampton. The first, he says, about thirty years before, had many inhabitants, many holding leasehold estates under the lord of the manor for three lives. Some of these had estates of 15l., 20l., and 30l a year, being for the most part careful, industrious people, obliged to be careful to keep a little cash in order to keep the estate in the family if a life should drop". There are three things I don't understand here. 1) the second sentence, "many holding leasehold estates under the lord of the manor _for three lives_". Does that mean "for three generations"? 2) the third sentence, "15l., 20l., and 30l a year". What does "l." stand for? There is a link to the article about the pound sterling in the text, but does that really mean "£"? Why "l."? 3) the third sentence, "if a life should drop". What does that mean? Can somebody please explain?
2019년 9월 10일 오전 4:39
5
0
Aaah, libra... Very interesting. Thank you, Greg!
2019년 9월 10일
15l will be the 15pounds of that era. L was used as an abbreviation (from the Roman, 'libra') for pounds. I read that some old documentation had that abbreviation.
2019년 9월 10일
Oh, I see... Thank you @Heidi, thank you @Michael!
2019년 9월 10일
I think it's what you infer, that 1) means three generations, 2) means pounds, and 3) means a death. But this is not correctly written English, it's garbage. You are confused because the author is using non-English idioms. Perhaps translated from some other language and culture. Thus the problem with Wikipedia -- anyone can edit an article without regard for competency or accuracy.
2019년 9월 10일
This is hideously bad writing in English. Don't beat yourself up for not understanding it! I am a native speaker of English and I can barely make sense of it.
2019년 9월 10일
Kseniia