Cesar Lopez
"Di chi..." - How would you say this sentence in italian? Ciao a tutti! I want to say this in italian: "Who do you think I'm talking about?" The translation I came up with is: "Di chi pensi che sto parlando?" Is it correct? If not, how would you say it? Grazie!
3
0
A possible translation is: "Di chi pensi che io stia parlando?", which is grammatically correct. Nonetheless , if it's clear that it's me who is talking, the following would sound more natural: "Di chi pensi che stia parlando?" "Di chi pensi stia parlando?" In fact, out of context the previous two lines could both mean "Who do you think I'm talking about" or "Who do you think he/she/it is talking about".
Grazie, Stefano! Se ho capito correttamente, potrei anche dire "Di chi pensi che parli ?" (using "parlare" in the subjunctive tense for the first person singular, I, which is "io parli", right ?)
The sentence is quite correct, the only mistake is that you need to use the subjunctive tense. The correct translation would be: "di chi pensi che (io) stia parlando?" I put "io" in brackets because it can be omitted. Hope that's clear! :)
Cesar Lopez
Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish
Chinese (Mandarin), French, German, Italian, Russian