L. K.
URGENT!! Cultural question: I need to translate an article's heading from Spanish into English that is causing me some difficulties. The heading is "Manolo y la valkiria", which means "Manolo and the Valkyrie". The term "Valkyrie" is used in this heading because the article deals with a man called Manolo, who sees a Nordic woman. He is Spanish, so he is not used to see blonde women and this Nordic one seems to him like a viking goddess such as the Valkyrie. I imagine that for people who live in countries where blonde women are abundant this does not happen, but the opposite. If they see a brunette woman, it would seem to them like an "exotic" one. In Spain, young blonde women are usually thought of as a "goddess", so does anyone have an idea of how to translate the idea of "Valkyrie" into English? Thank you very much in advance
7
0
Personally, I'd probably just translate it directly as "Manolo and the Valkyrie." Valkyries are generally represented as beautiful women, and because they're associated with a (still very popular) ancient mythological tradition, they sound quite exotic even to most English speakers. I would say that "Valkyrie" is probably the best word for talking about a blonde, European-looking woman but also suggesting that she seems exotic, mysterious, and perhaps supernatural. It's true as Jennifer says that Valkyries are also associated with battle and death... but that's surely true, to some extent, of the Spanish title, too, since the author is using the very same word. And "Amazon" is certainly an equally battle-charged word.
You could say the Viking, but many of them were red-headed. So, the best thing to do is to say, "the blonde'. Valkyrie is something some people might understand, but they would not neccessarily assume blonde-ness.
I need to translate the heading from Spanish into English, Ester:) Jennifer, I see what you mean, but Valkyrie is just used in this case to refer to a beautiful and exotic woman. The text is about a man who is in his boat with his wife and sees in another boat a nordic woman who is sunbathing with no clothes and in the moment he sees her, he thinks she is like a goddess, perfect and beautiful and the author compares her to the Valkyrie. But he has his brunette wife, who is completely different. I need a name such as the option Gdanning offered "Amazon", that when an English reader sees it, think of an exotic beautiful woman. Also, if I say nordic goddess, it maybe does not has the same influence in an English reader
You can translate it “Manolo y la diosa Valkiria”
Why not go with nordic goddess? From what you write it's a positive encounter while the term valkyrie has a negative notion as those were women that were bellacious and killed men. It depends on what the text is about though..
L. K.
English, French, German, Spanish
English, German