Ramin
whose in a sentence I don't know whose this card belongs to. I want to pay on behalf of my father.
3
0
I don't know whose card this is. normal speech: I don't know who this card belongs to. formal writing: I don't know whom this card belongs to. VERY formal writing: I don't know to whom this card belongs. Use "whose" in structures similar to ones where you would use "his", not "him". GOOD: This is his card-->this card is his--> I don't know whose card this is. GOOD: this card belongs to him--> I don't know who(m) this card belongs to. BAD: this card is belong to his-->I don't know whose this card belongs to.
"I don't know whose this card belongs to." is incorrect English. 'Whose' is the possessive form of the pronoun 'who'. That form of 'who' is not called for here. You simply want to say, "I don't know who this card belongs to."
"I don't know whose this card belongs to." You will hear this, but it is more common to hear "who" instead of "whose" above.
Ramin
English, French, Persian (Farsi)