Niwantha
“arrive” or “reach” - Which is more appropriate in this situation? Hi friends, Let’s say I have to go to a place and inform someone over the phone that I am at the location. Which is more appropriate in a situation like this – “arrive” or “reach”? e.g. 1) Hi John, I have arrived the place. 2) Hi John, I have reached the place. Are there any other ways to express the same idea? Thanks in advance, Niwantha
4
1
Both are ok, but 'arrived' is more common. Your sentences need a small change, though. 1) Hi John, I have arrived the place. "Hi, John, I've arrived at the place" OR "Hi John, I've arrived here" OR "Hi John, I've arrived." 2) Hi John, I have reached the place. "Hi John, I've reached the place". (what you said is correct, but more natural to abbreviate "I have") Of the above, I would usually use 'arrive' and not 'reach'. I would also sometimes use "I've gotten there/here".
Hi! Native English speaker here. First of all, to use “arrive” you need to include the word “at” - 1) Hi John, I have arrived at the place. 2) Hi John, I have reached the place. Besides that point, both work in your sentence, they just sound a little formal. I usually use arrive/reach for objects: 1) The package arrived at my house last night. 2) The car reached Las Vegas yesterday. That said, “reached” is less formal and more appropriate than arrived for the way you are using it. I would more likely say: 1) Hi John, I’m at the place. or (less commonly because it is longer) 2) Hi John, I got to the place. Hope this helps!
Niwantha
English, Sinhala