Olena
when can I use "to" with need? Can I say: " I need to clean my shoes"?
14 سبتمبر 2019 09:50
2
0
You can always use "to" between "need" and the verb it governs. That is, whenever “need” governs a verb, the verb it governs can be (and usually is) in the infinitive (with “to”). In your example, you need to use “to”. “Need” can be a verb or a noun in this case: He needs to know. / He has a need to know. A better question would be, “when it is possible *not* to use ‘to’ after need?” Well, if “need” is not followed by a verb, then of course there’s no infinitive, and no “to”. Other than that, “need” is sometimes used as a “modal” auxiliary. This is mostly in British English), and the usage may carry a special meaning. In my opinion, you probably don’t need to worry about it for a while, but Su.Ki. wrote a relevant min-article on it. I don’t have the link, but you could ask her for it: Su.Ki.: https://www.italki.com/user/1478711
14 سبتمبر 2019
Yes, perfect English and a common phrase. I need to clean my shoes. The children need to wash their hands before eating; I need to clean my teeth/brush my teeth. I need to go to the doctor; I need to take the car to the mechanic, etc. In these sentences the word "to" belongs to the following word, e.g. "to" clean, to do, to make, to take. In the other European languages, the word "to" is a part of the verb structure, e.g. делать. думать, петь, чистить и.т.д. In German it is similar: singen/ machen/ kochen/ tun/ denken/ etc. In English we use the word "to" and sometimes it is not essential to say the verb - I want to... I need to... I have to.... and we would understand what verb should follow, from the context. I need to... what? I need to do (the verb) we were just talking about. I need to do it/ make it/ telephone that person, etc. I need to clean my shoes. Do you need to? Yes, they are dirty.
14 سبتمبر 2019
Olena
English, German, Russian, Ukrainian
English, German