Katya
What the difference between oldest - eldest? I have met this sentence in the text-book - "The eldest trees have to be cut down". Is there a misprint in it?
14 сент. 2019 г., 10:26
6
0
You're in Australia too, Katya. Eldest can refer to people. My eldest brother, the eldest person in the group. It is not common to use 'eldest' for things, buildings, trees, etc. Elderly and 'elderly citizens' refer only to people, not things. Oldest can refer to the age of a thing or a person. The oldest castle in the city, the oldest church in the town, etc. The oldest trees in the park. Obviously the words have a common origin, but we use them slightly differently
14 сентября 2019 г.
I came across this sentence in a text book. It could be a misprint for “elder”, which is a type of tree, or for “oldest”.
14 сентября 2019 г.
eldest :superlative = the highest quality or degree of one out of a group of related or otherwise associated people) of the greatest age; oldest. or having lived for a long time; no longer young. old :adjective older:Comparison ; example :My brother is older than my sister ,but i'm the eldest
14 сентября 2019 г.
Katya
Armenian, English, Italian, Russian
Armenian, Italian