Fernando
Verbs Hi, there Which of THESE options is right? "UK and US history are intriguing" or "UK and US history is intriguing"? "France's and Britain's histories are exciting" or "French and British history is exciting" or "French and British history are exciting"? Thank you
5
0
"UK and US history are intriguing" and "French and British history are exciting" both sound very bad to me. "French and British history is exciting" and "UK and US history is intriguing" sound better, but still feel a bit weird. "France's and Britain's histories are exciting" sounds correct but uncommon. Personally, I would add the word "both." With "both," the plural form sounds fine, at least to me. "UK and US history are both intriguing" You could also add relational adverbs like "equally" "French and British history are equally exciting"
French and British history are exciting. "History" is uncountable noun, but "French and British " can be replaced with pronoun "they". As a result, it should be "are" instead of "is".
Fernando
English, French, Portuguese