Toyger
What’s the difference? What’s the difference between saying “I missed you” and “I miss you” to a person while hugging them? Does “I missed you” mean “I’m happy now. I don’t miss you anymore” while “I miss you” means “still not done missing you, let me hug you a little longer”? Thank you.
3
0
"I missed you" would be much more common. "I miss you" would imply that I expect to continue missing you soon after the hug. If a son is away fighting in the army, and has been permitted to return home for 1 week, his mother might say "I miss you", because their separation isn't really over yet--there's only a brief pause in the separation. Similarly, if you say "I miss you" over the phone or in a letter, it means that you don't consider the phone call to be the same thing as actual physical contact, and your separation is not over.
When you say “I missed you”, in the presence of the other person, you’re talking about a feeling that you had when he/she wasn’t there. Example: “ I missed you all this time! Let me hug you.” With “I miss you” you’re talking about your feelings in the present, so it’s not really common to say that in the presence of the person you missed, unless you’re telling them about the feelings you usually have when he/she leaves. Example: “I miss you so much every time you travel.” I hope it helps!
People use these two sentences fairly interchangeably when they are saying it in the moment with the other person there but there could be a difference. “I missed you” implies that I no longer do because now you’re here. “I miss you” could mean the same but it could also mean that the person continues to miss the other even though they are together now. I have a friend who lives far away. When I see him, I say “I miss you” because our brief time together before he goes back home is not enough so I continue missing him even when we’re together.
Toyger
English, Fur