Bettina
Can help with the word "along"? I know that there is a lot of phrasal verbs with the preposition "along" but I don't know how to use it... Can you give me some examples plz?
15 de feb de 2008 13:06
2
0
'along' is related to 'long' and usually has something to do with length. 'alongside' describes some ships lying next to each other's longer sides. To 'walk along the street' means you walk in that direction for a ...long time without changing directions. Yes, following the same direction (/way) for some time may be something these 'along' expressions all have in common. To "get along" with someone means you easily solve problems with that person. 'Come along' means 'Come with me!' While 'Get along with you!' is an order to leave immediately.
15 de Febrero de 2008
Sometimes, the word "along" is used when talking about something that has a certain length, or covers a certain distance: "I walked along the street." Sometimes the word "along" is used with "come": "There is a party at my house. Why don't you come along?" This has basically the same meaning as: "Why don't you come?". The word "along" doesn't really add any further meaning! Sometimes the word "along" is used with "with". (Or I could say ... "Sometimes the word "along" is USED ALONG WITH "with"!). For example: "You must bring your application form, along with some identification." Once again, the word "along" does not really add any meaning. It just makes the grammatical function of the word "with" slightly more clear. Here's an example: "Bring me bread, with speed!" This could mean "Bring me bread quickly" (the phrase "with speed" modifies the verb "bring"). However, the word "speed" can be used as the name of a drug, so it could mean "Bring me bread, and also bring me some of the drug called speed". Now compare this: "Bring me bread, along with speed". In this case, the word "along" makes it clear that I want you to bring me two things: bread and speed. It can't be interpreted as "Bring me bread quickly". I hope this makes sense!
15 de Febrero de 2008
Bettina
English, French, Spanish
Spanish