Kousaku Yamada
About “From” and “on” Hi, I am Kou from Japan. I would like to ask a question about “from” and “on” I often use “from” when I want to say something will be started such as My school will be started “from” October. But my colleague said you can use “on” instead of “from”. She said if there is a period, you should use “from”. However, if there is no period, you should use “on” . For example, our tax will be 10 percent from this October, and it will be no period. It will be continued. In this case, you can say “our tax will be 10 percent on this October. That is what she said. It seems make sense. But I couldn’t find any pages regarding this matter. And some news said “from” and some said “on”. I am confused right now. If there is a rule using “from” and “on”, I would like to know!!
3
0
Yes, your teacher was correct. In America, we will usually use 'from' as part of a "from... to" structure. "I'll be working from Tuesday to Saturday, but I'll be free on Sunday and Monday." However, we also occasionally use "from" for PERMANENT changes. "I've decided to become a vegetarian. Starting from tomorrow, I'll never eat meat again." If you are not using either of these structures, use "on", even if you use a different structure that shows a fixed period. "The seminar will start on Tuesday." "The seminar will start on Tuesday, and will continue until Friday." That's how we use "from" in America. I think I've seen slightly different usage patterns in British English--I'd appreciate it if one of our helpful Brits could tell us how the word is used in Merrye Olde England.
Kousaku Yamada
English, French, Japanese