Ryan B.
What does "Mealy weakling".mean in this sentence? Stories of people breaking the rules fully, completely and with no bad consequences. Some justify this by saying they’re doing it for others, or for a greater good. Some really don’t care. And, unlike the mealy weaklings you usually hear on this program: None of these wrongdoers seem regretful about what they’ve done in the slightest.
1
0
I would say mealy here is used to try to create a bit of a mental image of deteriorating or being in poor condition. My impression is something similar to this description: Apples become mealy when the glue holding its cells together gets weak. When this happens, a bite of apple will just disintegrate into individual cells when we chew instead of holding firmly together. It's not meant to be literal. It's a figurative description. That's how I read it.
Ryan B.
English, Korean, Portuguese