Reyn
please, help with my homework (Choose option A, B, C or D which best fits according to the text) "When Roger appeared, some forty minutes later, she nearly missed him, amusing herself for the moment by peering through the opera glasses into nearby open windows, but a sudden feeling caused her to glance back at the courtyard gates just in time to see Roger, standing in the road with an air of confidence and purpose that took her breath away, flag down a coach of his own." Choose option A, B, C or D which best fits according to the text: When Roger left his office at about five o'clock, Miss Temple A. watched him through her new opera glasses. B. saw him just before he got into a carriage. C. had a sudden feeling of breathlessness. D. pretended to be looking into an open window.
6
0
A: No, she was "peering through the opera glasses into nearby open windows". B: Yes, she saw him "flag down a coach of his own". (If you flag down a taxi, you wave to it so it will stop) C: No, it's just figurative to say that she was breathless. D: No, she didn't pretend to do that. She did that to "amuse herself for the moment".
Ellen Hogue, thank you very much! )
Hi Reyn. Looks like an SAT question. :) I believe B is the correct answer. I ruled out A because she was looking "into nearby...windows" almost missing him, so here primary activity was watching others. I eliminated C because the "took her breath away" phrase isn't a primary action but rather an aside. D is easily eliminated because the information is inaccurate. Hope this helps, Ellen
Nanren888- 新西兰 I am thinking B or C
What's your thinking on this? Can you rule any out?
Reyn