Wu Ting
How would you interpret this phrase in the context? How would you interpret this phrase “My shift manager was cool by me” in the third sentence? I would think it means the shift manager was kind to him. What do you think? Thank you. PS: the excerpt is taken from “Kneller’s Happy Campers” written by an Israeli author, Etgar Keret. And I’m reading an English translation. the context: Two days after I killed myself I found a job here at some pizza joint. It’s called Kamikaze, and it’s part of a chain. My shift manager was cool by me, and helped me find a place to live, with this German guy who works at the same store. The job’s no big deal, but it’ll do for a while.
2
0
“X by me” is an idiomatic phrase that means that something has X quality “in your opinion” or “from your point of view.” So, “cool by me” means that the shift manager was “cool” (meaning, nice and easy to get along with) in the speaker’s opinion, or at least with respect to the speaker (even if the manager wasn’t nice to other persons). Another example: A: “Do you want to go to the movies?” B: “Cool by me” = “Yes, going to the movies would be fine with me.”
“My shift manager was cool by me” implies that the employee had no problems or issues with the shift manager. The shift manager probably was easy to get along with. Kindness was probably displayed by the shift manager.
Wu Ting