Wu Ting
How would you interpret the phrase in the context? How would you interpret this phrase “it’ll do for a while” in the last sentence? I would think it means the job would be suitable for him for a while. What do you think? Thank you. PS: the excerpt is taken from “Kneller’s Happy Campers” written by an Israeli author, Etgar Keret. And I’m reading an English translation. the context: Two days after I killed myself I found a job here at some pizza joint. It’s called Kamikaze, and it’s part of a chain. My shift manager was cool by me, and helped me find a place to live, with this German guy who works at the same store. The job’s no big deal, but it’ll do for a while.
4
0
Nanren's explanation is good. Other alternatives are: "The job’s no big deal, but it’ll be ok for a while" "The jobs no big deal, but I'll keep working there until I find something better" The speaker is suggesting the job is neither good, nor bad and he'll keeping working there for the short term at least. The speaker implies if a better job comes, he'll probably take it.
I agree with the existing answers. I am really intrigued by the first sentence: Two days after I killed myself I found a job here at some pizza joint. Really??!!
You are correct. It means the job would be suitable for him for a while.
Wu Ting