Ana
Kind of holidays in English? Hi everyone, I’m Spanish and I’d like to know the name used for the different kind of holidays in English. This is what I mean: - vacaciones de verano: summer holidays - día festivo: ??? (such as Cristmas, Saint Patrick, ...) - puente: ???? When, for example, is feast on Thursday and then you don’t have to work from Thursday to Sunday. - día libre: free day?? ( when you don’t have to work but the rest of the people have to) Thank you in advance.
8
0
In the US, we say: - vacaciones de verano: "summer vacation" (Students have "summer vacation" every year, when they are not in school. We say that they are "on vacation" during this time. There is also "winter vacation," in winter. We sometimes say "winter holidays," because winter vacation includes several major holidays.) - día festivo: "holiday" ("Christmas is a major holiday in the US." "My favorite holiday is Halloween.") - puente: We don't really have a word for this, but if you don't have to work for several days including the weekend, we call it a "long weekend." ("This Friday is a holiday, so I'll have a long weekend." "Are you doing anything fun for the long weekend?") - día libre: "day off" ("I have the day off today." "It's been a long time since I had a day off." "Can you take tomorrow off so we can go to the concert?" "Last week, I had Friday off.")
Thank you Scarlett, very kind of you!
We have a similar holiday as puente called "bank holiday weekend" when we don't work Friday or Monday.
Hi David, Thank you very much for your answer. It’s very useful. I have heard about “bank holidays” when the day off is on Monday but I understand that I can’t use it when I want to say that I have a day off on Friday. Thank you again Ana
Hi Ana, In the UK, we have summer holidays also, as in the vacations that people go on in the summer or just the time off that they have in the summer, especially for students and teachers. In the UK we don't have so many religious holidays, other than Christmas and Easter. The days off we all get at those times (and at certain other times of the year, usually Mondays) are called bank holidays, as traditionally banks and other services are closed on those days. Students and teachers also have Easter and Christmas holidays, which are usually the two weeks off around those times. As far as I know, there is no equivalent of "puente" in the UK. When you personally do not have to work, that's called a "day off". Hope this helps, David
Ana