Azul
Is this word inversion acceptable? Hi everyone. I was drafting a couple of sentences in order to test (via trail and error) the flexibility of word order in English. I started off by reading this brief excerpt from Walter de la Mare's "Arabia": "Far are the shades of Arabia, Where the Princes ride at noon" and by following (as far as I'm concerned) the structure of its first sentence, I came up with this other one: "Unreachable seem those days when we were happy" Would you tell me to which extent it is understandable, or acceptable for a native speaker? Thanks a lot!
6
0
Your sentence is good — it’s in the same poetic style as your model. That being said, those inversions only work in poetry; nowadays we never talk or write that way in real life. Nowadays, we mostly use inversion in questions. We can also use inversion after a negative or limiting adverb, although this is a bit literary: Never have I been…. Not once did he…. Little did she know…. Scarcely had I arrived….
It's poetic in style. You would never speak or write this way in standard conversation or writing.
Azul
English, German, Italian, Spanish
English, German, Italian