Zoe Chau
What does this word mean? Even though I watch a lot of BBC crime shows, somehow I was not familiar with the term "Grass." I would appreciate it if someone could help me out. Context: He walked rapidly, going nowhere in particular, but every road in Brighton ended on the front. I’m too old for the game, I got to get out, Nottingham; he wanted to be alone, he went down the stone steps to the level of the beach; it was early closing and the small shops facing the sea under the promenade were closed. He walked on the edge of the asphalt, scuffling in the shingle. I wouldn’t grass, he remarked dumbly to the tide as it lifted and withdrew, but it wasn’t my doing, I never wanted to kill Fred. ----Brighton Rock by Graham Greene
2
0
I had to look this one up. The term "grass" is used in British slang to mean "inform the police of criminal activity or plans." I found larger exerpts, and it sounds like he witnessed a crime, and he is convincing himself that he is not a "fink", and that he would only report it if he became a suspect.
Zoe Chau
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Taiwanese), English, German, Japanese, Norwegian
English, German, Japanese, Norwegian