Ootred 秋 🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒
'We often denote danger by red letters.' Is it correct to use 'denote' by this way in this sentence? According to Lexico dictionary, there are no definitions or uses for the percipient being to donote something by something. https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/denote Thanks for your answer.
2
0
Not always a good idea. To indicate with red ink, I have a lot of personal experience of having to ask people to sigh A MDA device that was always set to default "red" and in the area of London I was operating the North East Quadrant of London England; aproximately 30 mies in all directions I would occasionally come across people whose belief did not allow them to sign in red ink, it caused a lot of distress and there were at least three occasions when I had to telephone my office and explain, that I was not going to ask the devout person to sign in "red". This involved waiting for my office to phone the client and explain whilst I had to wait discretely nearby. I know there are one or two people on italki who do not care about such things that cause people distress, but I think it is a bad attitude to have. Italk askS us to be respectful of others. YoU can indicate with a different font or some other way.
Personally, I think “indicate” sounds better than “denote” but it’s fine. You might want to say “with red letters” instead, though
Ootred 秋 🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese