Maria
How you guys usually learn Phrasal Verbs? Do you use an app or something else? What is the most difficult thing for you to learn phrasal verbs? What can you recommend for a quick study?
3
1
HI
Phrasal verbs aren't actually that hard to learn. As they are used in conversational English, you'll learn them by speaking with native English speakers or others who are fluent in English. Reading a lot of English also helps, but you might want to choose blogs or tabloids, as they are usually written in conversational style. I also love listening to the audio drama's and typical programs on BBC 4xtra. Also, look at the particle. The particles are usually stressed and they determine the meaning of the phrasal verb. For example: If someone's speaks really quietly, you want them to speak louder. So you would ask them "to speak up", the particle being stressed. Without the particle, or with a different one, the meaning changes or it won't mean anything at all. Another great tool to learn phrasal verbs is the Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary. I see they also have an app, but I'm not sure if it's as good as the book. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oup.elt.oald9
Reading is the best and quickest way to improve your vocabulary. I recommend starting with books you've read in your native language and are already familiar with. It takes time and patience. I don't recommend trying to find a memorize lists of phrasal verbs. Find them in your reading, make a note and try to guess the meaning from context before searching for the meaning. I know it's tough but you can do it! Good luck.
Maria
Dutch, English, Russian, Spanish
Dutch, English, Spanish