Pelin
Can I use these interchangeably? I'm sick of people telling me how to live my life. I'm sick of people telling me how to lead my life.
7
0
Yes and no. In the first sentence using "live" it deems as more control. The person basically tells you how to do everything. In the other, "lead" it has less control. Look at these 2 examples: a. My father loves me very much and when I was a child he helped guide me. He lead my life. b. My mom was mean. She was always telling me how to do things. She tried to live my life for me! Hope this helps, Jerry (Teacher/Tutor)
They are the same. Use interchangeably.
“Lead” is more general, higher level. He leads a life of crime. After finding God, he lead his life differently. “Live” could be used generally too but it could also be talking about details. My Mom tells me how to live my life. She tells me what classes to take, what extracurriculars to do, and even what friends I can have.
In the English language many words have more than one definition. The definition of a word can vary based on the context in which it is written. Sometimes different words are used to convey the same meaning. One word may be more commonly used in one particular English speaking country than another. One word may be more commonly used in one time period than another. American Heritage Dictionary definition of the verb “live”: www.ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=live American Heritage Dictionary definition of the verb “lead”: www.ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=lead I copied the definitions that are related to your sentences and wrote complete words where words were abbreviated. (you can read the complete definitions in the links.) The definitions are numbered. The 1st definition is the most common and as the numbers increase the meanings are less common but are still relevant definitions of the words. Live v.tr.(transitive verb) 1. To spend or pass (one's life). Lead v.tr.(transitive verb) 8. To pass or go through; live: lead an independent life. The 1st transitive form of the verb "live" is defined as “to spend or to pass (one’s life)” The 8th transitive form of the verb "lead" is defined as “to pass or to go through; to live” Used in the context of your sentences, the words "live" and "lead" are equal. Therefore, the meaning of your sentences is the same. "I'm sick of people telling me how to live my life" “I’m sick of people telling me how to lead my life” In these sentences two different words ("live" and "lead") are being used to express the same sentiment. Thus, the sentences can be used interchangeably. " ... how to live my life." is commonly heard in the U.S. "... how to lead my life." may be commonly heard other English speaking countries. These links can helpful if you want to learn more about the etymology of the English language: www.etymonline.com www.thoughtco.com/etymology-word-stories-1692654
Pelin
English, Turkish