Vincenzo
Pathway, does it have a figurative meaning. I mean, can you say something like "a pathway from Topic A to Topic B"?
2
0
My intent was to give a title to some kind of essay for university, my idea was "A Pathway from L1 Interference to Interlanguage". So, no verb included as in your example.
A reader or a listener in English will probably understand what you mean, because English is full of idiosyncratic/metaphorical usages like this. These types of usages are very fashionable right now - turning nouns into verbs, using nouns more metaphorically/figuratively. However, I suspect the usage that is more common would be something along the lines of "find a PATH from Topic A to Topic B," which would be easily accepted as normal speech. A pathway refers to something like a corridor or trail, so if you were describing a sequence or a series of steps that needed to be taken to get from one point to another (figurative or literal), then pathway would work well to describe that linear movement (again, whether literal or figurative). In general, English is very forgiving of people using words in new/different figurative contexts, so when in doubt, I say go for it. It will likely only make you sound MORE fluent rather than LESS to use words in creative contexts for which they're not designed. (I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but it really is a very modern trend in English, especially among people in the business community, to make up new uses for words and then try to pass them off as totally normal.)
Vincenzo
English, Italian, Neapolitan (Napoletano), Spanish