liveoutmyway
Don't understand what the book explain, the whole question set 33-35, see the picture: https://photos.app.goo.gl/T2QFjDvWpXV2G39n9 Question35. The piece for students who sometimes missed class, but studied was between the biggest and the smallest piece. It is larger than the piece for students who missed class and didn't study. What was the percentage? (A)20%(B)10%(C)65%(D)5% ------------- in the link, the picture of the pie chart shows: (in question 33 and 34) the biggest pie: 65% (student always went to class and studied) the smallest pie: 5% (students often slept in class) and still, 2 unknown pies remain: 20%, 10% ------------ the given answer is (B)10%, but I chose (A)20% instead. Apparently, I can only choose between (A)20% and (B)10% But the key sentence in Q35 "It is larger than the piece for students who missed class and didn't study." which my answer book explains confuses me. the answer book says: explanation1: the key sentence "It is larger than the piece for students who missed class and didn't study." = "the larger piece of pie is for student who missed class and didn't study." So the larger piece of pie is 20% piece of the pie. So the answer to Q35, the percentage of students who sometimes missed class, but studied is 10%" ---------------------------- My analysis the biggest pie: 65% (student always went to class and studied)(Q33 mentioned) 20% (who sometimes missed class, but studied) => Q35 answer 10% (students who missed class and didn't study) the smallest pie: 5% (students often slept in class) (Q34 mentioned) My answer explains the key sentence "It(20%) is larger than the piece(10%) for students who missed class and didn't study." --------- My Question A: Is The explanation 1 of the key sentence from the answer book really correct? My Question B: If my answer (A)20% or analysis is wrong. Please kindly tell me why (B)10% is the answer? Thank you for your attention.
4
0
Hi liveoutmyway, Your answer is absolutely correct, for the way the question is written. Just judging by the language (calling a section a "piece") it appears that English is not the writer's strongest point. What they were TRYING to ask was what was the percentage of students who missed class and didn't sudy. However, the way it's written sounds like they were asking about the percentage for students who sometimes missed class, but studied.
I completely agree with Lance. Your answer is correct, based on the information the book gives. Also, just as Lance says, the text does not sound like it was written by someone with a strong command of English.
liveoutmyway
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Other), Chinese (Taiwanese), English