Community Web Version Now Available
Warden/gaoler/??? Hi! Could somebody please help me with one word? What would you call the head person in prison (not the guards but the person in charge)? My dictionary says "warden" or "gaoler", but I'm not sure which one I should use. If anything, it's about the beginning of the 20th century (in case it was different back then).
Sep 22, 2019 6:43 AM
Answers · 7
In the UK, the head of a prison is called the governer.
September 22, 2019
Thank you for your answer, Lance. Nice to know the word "warden" is not really wrong, at least in some parts of the world.
September 23, 2019
In the US it would be 'warden'.
September 22, 2019
Language Skills
English, Gaelic (Irish), Russian
Learning Language
English, Gaelic (Irish)