liveoutmyway
Which one is incorrect?--- I told her that she (shouldn't/mustn't/will) have gone there. Which one is not correct? Question from test book: I told her that she _____ have gone there. (a)mustn't (b)will (c)mightiest (d)shouldn't The given answer from the book is (d)shouldn't. ------------ But In my opinion, the three answers "(a)mustn't (b)will (d)shouldn't" are all possible. Answer (d)shouldn't=> I told her that she Shouldn't have gone there. meaning that she still went there after I had told her not to. Answer (a)mustn't = Answer (d) but have a stronger command meaning. Answer (b)will => I told her that she will have gone there. meaning that I predicted and assumed she will have left for there (by the time not mentioned) because the future time wasn't mentioned in the question, I think Answer "(b)will" is still possible but not as good as "(a)mustn't or (d)shouldn't". --------------- If there is anything wrong in my opinion, please help to correct. Thank you for your attention.
5
0
The answer that is INCORRECT is (c). You can think of instances where (a), (b), and (d) would be correct, but (c) makes absolutely no sense: "I told her that she mightiest have gone there." Although I agree with your conclusion that (a), (b), and (c) are all possible, I would like to correct your analysis: (d) I told her that she shouldn't have gone there. This implies an after-the-fact discussion. I told her (after she already went) that she shouldn't have gone. If you told her not to go, and she went anyway, then you would say, "I told her she shouldn't go." (a) I told her that she mustn't have gone there. This one is a little trickier. The way it reads, it sounds like she (the one who went there), or someone else, believes that she went there, but there is other strong evidence to say otherwise. For instance, let's say she is suspected of a crime, and to police says she was at the scene. However, surveillance photos from a bank put here somewhere else when the crime was committed. Then her lawyer would tell her, "You must not have gone there." (And then told someone else that "I told her that she mustn't have gone there." (b) I told her that she will have gone there. I agree with what you said about (b) except it's a prediction that she will have been there, not just left for there. Sorry for being so wordy, but I hope it helps.
There are a lot of really bad Chinese English textbooks. Perhaps this is one of them.
liveoutmyway
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Other), Chinese (Taiwanese), English