Andrés
Give me a hand please with these sentences -"The project is set to cost $3bn" --> Can I say: the project is thought to cost? -"A wreath was to be laid in remembrance of the glacier" --> Can I write: a wreath was set in remembrance...? -"An initiative calling for carbon dioxide emissions in Switzerland to be reduced to zero by 2050 --> Can I say: an initiative looking for reducing... to zero by 2050"?? ______ Thank you
7
0
Very close - I can tell you are pretty advanced. There are 2 that are not correct. 1. -"A wreath was to be laid in remembrance of the glacier" --> Can I write: a wreath was set in remembrance...? Notice that the first sentence is talking about the future (to be). So, you must do the same in yours. "A wreath was "to be" set in remembrance... 2. -"An initiative calling for carbon dioxide emissions in Switzerland to be reduced to zero by 2050 --> Can I say: an initiative looking for reducing... to zero by 2050"?? No, but you could say either of these: a. an initiative looking for reduction... b. an initiative looking to reduce... I hope this helps, Jerry (Teacher/tutor
If it's unknown what the cost will be, then you can say it is expected to cost. A wreath is 'laid' so the second original sentence is fine. The third original sentence is fine as 'looking for' would sound awkward.
Andrés
English, French, Portuguese, Spanish
English, French, Portuguese