Dawna
Is this sentence right? In a Spanish learning cd I was listening to they translated "She works in a big engineering company" to "Trabaja en una empresa de ingeniería grande". I would've thought it would be "Trabaja en un empresa grande de ingeniería." The way the cd translated it makes it sound like the engineering is big and not the company.
6
0
Yes, you are right. The translation you suggest sounds better. You could also say: Trabaja en una gran empresa de ingeniería.
Your translation is good but sounds better and is more used: "Trabaja en una GRAN empresa de ingeniería." In fact, it's better the use of the word "gran" when you mean big. Example: -Big Brother: Gran Hermano. - I had a big dream last night: Tuve un gran sueño anoche (la noche anterior). -I visited a big aquarium: Visite un gran acuario
Hi! I'm not saying the translation is wrong, I'm just saying that in Spanish, we sometimes are a little more "verbose" when talking. For example, I would have translated that phrase to: "Ella trabaja en una empresa muy grande que se dedica a (la) ingeniería." The thing is that English has this way of expressing ideas by just jutting words together (something I happen to like a lot about the English language), but sometimes it doesn't work too well if you try to do the same in Spanish (or other languages, for that matter). In this case, it works, but if you want to emphasize that "big" refers to the company, you are right, you should put "gran" or "grande" before or after the word "empresa". The last thing I want to add is that one possible reason for that translation is that we don't usually use the adjective "grande" or "gran" with "ingeniería". When we use "ingeniería" we can use the words "excelente", "de alto nivel", "avanzada", etc. Now, when you talk about an "engineer", you do hear frequently "es un gran ingeniero", but in this context, it means "he (or she) is a great engineer", in other words, he's good at his job, not that he is big in size. Suerte!
Your translation is good but sounds better and is more used: "Trabaja en una GRAN empresa de ingeniería." In fact, it's better the use of the word "gran" when you mean big. Example: -Big Brother: Gran Hermano. - I had a big dream last night: Tuve un gran sueño anoche (la noche anterior). -I visited a big aquarium: Visite un gran acuario.
Dawna
English, Lithuanian, Spanish
Spanish