Olena
are "rouse" and "arouse" used often?
4
0
Rouse is fairly uncommon in spoken English in the US. It sounds old fashioned, like something an author from 100 years ago would use. Arouse is more common and it is more commonly used in the adjective "aroused" or the noun "arousal" meaning attraction to someone. Aroused is also used in the medical sense of being awake and alert, but usually only by medical professionals. What context do you want to use it in?
“Go wake up your brother”. (I think he’s asleep) “Go rouse your brother.” (Maybe he’s in bed but I’m not sure if he is asleep. Slightly more accurate but not too common.) Arouse has to do with feelings. By default, it suggests sexual arousal. “That will arouse him.” (It would mean sexually) “That discussion aroused my interest in language learning.” (A fairly high level of speech, but not rare)
Olena
English, German, Russian, Ukrainian
English, German