Seul
Question about When The Management Board of the Agency shall on the basis of an independent audit report that takes into account the recommendation of the Pharmacovigilance Risk Assessment Committee confirm and announce when the Eudravigilance database has achieved full functionality and the system meets the functional specifications drawn up pursuant to the first subparagraph. (from EU Regulation) Hello, Could you please help me with the last sentence? ...confirm and announce when ... Does it mean 1)the management board of the agency shall confirm and announce the time when the database has achieved full funtionality and the system meets the functional specifications? Or does it mean 2)When the Eudravigilance database has achieved full functionality and the system meets the functional specifications drawn up pursuant to the first subparagraph, the board shall confirm and announce the product is ready? If it's the second meaning, wouldn't "confirm and acnnounce" need an object?
11
1
It is the second one. The whole phrase beginning with "when" IS the object. "Question-word phrases" can often act as grammatical objects. This is more common in casual speech than in formal writing, but as you can see, it IS occasionally used even in very formal texts. More examples: "He examined how it was done." "I like how you do that." "We discovered why it occurred."+ If you wanted to create a sentence with the first meaning, you would have to use another tense. Future perfect would be best. "...shall confirm and announce a date by which the database **shall have achieved** full functionality." If you use present perfect in the same sentence as future simple, the verb in present perfect occurs FIRST. "I will eat when you have sung"="I will eat AFTER she has sung" Of course, in that sentence the "when" phrase was acting as an adverb. Here's a sentence where it]'s acting as an object: "The Japanese Weather Service will let the public know when the cherry trees have blossomed"=After the cherry trees blossom, the Weather Service will reveal that fact (=the fact that they have blossomed) to the public.
Hi Mike, thanks but if the When clause is the object of “confirm and announce”, the first interpretation is correct I guess? A When clause as a noun means “the time when a subject a verb”. The second interpretation I posted uses the When clause as an adverb clause. I also edited my post to clarify my interpretations.
I believe it is the second meaning. At least that's how I read it. The management board of the agency shall confirm and announce when (object) the Eudravigilance database has achieved full functionality and the system meets the functional specifications drawn up pursuant to the first subparagraph.
Seul