Vincenzo
Do you call it a "Foreign language BA" or a "Foreign languages BA"? BA stands for Bachelor of Arts. Assuming that I study two languages, should I use the singular or the plural form? Also, is it needed a hyphen? (Foreign-language BA)
3
0
US: Education is not standardized. You'd call the degree whatever your university/college calls the degree. So if your school calls it a "BA in Foreign Language", then you use that. It could be "BA in French and German," or "BA in Foreign Languages," or "BA in World Languages," or whatever. I would not hyphenate "foreign language."
It's an interesting question and someone else may provide an 'official' answer. I think any of the following are fine: 1) I am getting a BA in foreign languages. [particularly if your focus is on the study of languages in general and not on any specific language(s)]. 2) I am getting a BA in two foreign languages, Spanish and Italian. 3) I am getting a foreign language BA in Spanish and Italian. I did not use a hyphen between 'foreign' and 'language' in 3# even though the compound-modifier-before-noun rule requires the hyphen. This is because it is not uncommon for careful writers to omit the hyphen in phrases that are very common and not likely to be misunderstood. Another example of this is "The high school students are studying Italian." [Not 'high-school' students...] 'High school' is such a common phrase that most readers would assume the writer is referring to secondary school and not to the use of drugs or the altitude of the classroom. The compound-modifier-rule error is frequently made, even among well educated writers. I made one error in the last sentence. Can you spot it? Hint: careful, well-educated writers wouldn't make this error.
It depends on what your university calls your degree I think. The only language degrees in the US that I’ve seen are for one degree. A BA in French, a BA in German, etc. If there were a BA in Foreign Languages I would put it in that order. Maybe that’s just me.
Vincenzo
English, Italian, Neapolitan (Napoletano), Spanish