Aud
More Room During my trip to the mountains I spent a night at kind of a small domitory with two large bunks literally from one wall of a room to another. I slept on a top bunk and heard how an American woman was talking to another tourists about the bunk and was saying something like 'here is a lot of room' or 'is it okay, or do you need more room?' I understood that it was about the spare place on the bunk. Is it typical only for American English, or British English as well? How can we say the same, but in another way (synonyms)? Thank you!
5
0
Yes, it is perfectly standard English to use “room” in that sense / meaning. “Room” is the original English word for “space”. “Space” is from Latin, via / through French. German has less French influence, so they use the cognate (“Raum”) much more often than we do in English. Nowadays, “room” and “space” are not always interchangeable, but it your example, they are synonymous.
Hello, Aud. This is a typical phrase used in AE to describe amounts of space. I am not sure how frequently it is used with BE speakers. Hopefully, someone will be able to answer this for you!
Aud
Danish, English, French, German, Norwegian, Russian
Danish, English, French, German, Norwegian