Jaehyoung Bae
What is different adding "I know" or not? I'm watching a TV show now, someone says "I know I slept a lot better knowing doctors smoke." Then, I just wondering about the "I know" at the front of that sentence. What is different between of those? "I know I slept a lot better knowing doctors smoke." and "I slept a lot better knowing doctors smoke."
4
0
I know at the beginning of the sentence is for emphasis or awareness. An example I know I have to study more.
"I know" has multiple meanings (as Jennifer has demonstrated). Here, for this statement, Robert has the best answer.
The I know at the beginning indicates, that something which was said before is known to the speaker. I can't really tell, what it refers to, because I don't know the context, but let me give you an example: Have you heard? Amber is getting married! I KNOW, and from what I heard, her husband-to-be is rich! Simon has been out of rehab for 5 months. I KNOW, and he is still sober. That takes a lot of courage. Both times I KNOW refers to the sentence before. You can also use I KNOW for a future event or a wish: I KNOW I would sleep a lot better if they finally caught the thief.
In the first, you are aware that your sleep was better and why this occurred. In the second you were not aware you just did sleep better.
Jaehyoung Bae