Luiz
''Each'' or ''Every'' How can I know when I should use ''each'' or ''every'' in a sentence? For example, in the sentence ''The browser will be updated every six weeks'', why can I not use ''each'' in place of ''every''? Thank you very much.
3
1
Hi Luiz, It depends on context. Sometimes you can use either, but sometimes one is correct and the other is not. Sorry - English is not simple! Your example: The browser will be updated every six weeks - CORRECT The browser will be updated each six weeks - WRONG Other examples: I eat dinner with my sister every / each Tuesday - BOTH CORRECT Each shirt in this shop is a different colour, so I will buy every shirt because I like all of them. There is an English saying, "Each and every". It is a way of describing all parts of something. For example, Each and every person in this room knows why they are here. Each and every piece of plastic is bad for the environment. I will check that each and every one of the students has finished their homework.
I hope someone else can give you a better answer to this question, because I've been thinking about it for a while, and I really don't know why we have to use "every" in this case. I can think of a few rules about the uses of "each" and "every," but none of them explain why one of them is correct in this case, and one is incorrect. It's possible that the preference for "every [number of something]" is just a matter of convention. We can say "each year" or "each weekend" or "each meeting," but we have to say "every two years" and "every other weekend" and "every tenth meeting." "Please give a ticket to each person who enters" and "Please give a ticket to every person who enters" are both correct. But when you start counting the people in groups, you have to use every. "Please give a ticket to every third person who enters."
Luiz
English, Portuguese