Cathy
Is the sentence correct? Global warming can seem too remote to worry about, or too uncertain-something projected by the same computer techniques that often can' t get next week' s weather right. I feel confused about the meaning of the sentence, especially the expression "uncertain-something". I think after the word uncertain there should be a "------ (dash)" rather than a "- (hyphen)" .
5
0
It should be a dash (an em-dash). It's effectively a second sentence that explains the first sentence. Think of it as a soft period. If it still doesn't make sense, let me know why.
Along with what Michael has already said it could also be a comma after 'uncertain'. The 'something projected by the same computer techniques that often can' t get next week' s weather right.' is another clause giving opinion/information about the lack of reliability of the computer projections and so by association casting doubt on the reality of global warming.
Cathy