Check out our updated Community
Speare
an award given to/an award that is given to The original sentence is "A Michelin Star is an award given to the best restaurants.", which is a sentence of my book, and I have two questions about the sentence. Question 1: Is it grammatical to say "A Michelin Star is an award that is given to the best restaurants."? Question 2: Which one is more natural and is the one that native English speakers would pick? The original one or "A Michelin Star is an award that is given to the best restaurants."?
1) Yes 2) If I were speaking I would use “that’s” just because that’s the way I say things. If I were writing, the original is the one I would use if I edited more carefully. “that is” is redundant in that case and some people feel you should use less words when you can do so while still clearly expressing the idea.
Question 1. Yes it is grammatically correct. Question 2. Both sound natural. However, it depends on the person and their own personal preference. Since I'm not a native speaker, I can't give an answer. I hope it helps!
Thanks for sharing, Gray!
I agree with Tim. In writing, I would use the original sentence from your book, but in speech I would say "an award that's given to the best restaurants."
Speare
English, Portuguese