zuotengdazuo
The train, just arrived from Boston, is crowded with travel-worn passengers. Hi. I made up this sentence. The train, _just arrived from Boston,_ is crowded with travel-worn passengers. Does it sound natural? Especially the underlined part? Thank you.
7
0
That is a really interesting question, because it depends what you mean by “unnatural.” “Travel-worn” is definitely UNUSUAL — I’ve never heard it before. “Travel weary”, in contrast, is very common to the point of being a cliche (overused). But I don’t know that I would call “travel-worn” UNNATURAL. In fact, I think it is good use of language because (i) it provides a strong picture/image, and (ii) it is not overused like “travel weary.”
Your sentence is perfect. I think Jerry's objection is that it doesn't sound like natural /spoken/ English, because the language you're using is a bit literary (including the non-restrictive clause, which is common in writing but fairly rare in speech). To me, the sentence sounds wrong if you omit the commas. It's grammatically possible, but it does not sound good, and is difficult enough to read that it /seems/ grammatically wrong. If you keep the commas, though, it's a very elegant English sentence that could easily appear in a well-written novel.
It sounds, all parts, interesting, as if written by someone skilled in writing to be interesting, using an expression that is obvious in meaning but not commonly used. So, "natural" sure, a natural concept, easily understood, in the way that novel interesting writing makes you glad to have read it and seen a new mental image.
In Anerican English it does not sound natural. (travel-worn is rarely used) Here are 2 examples that do: 1. The train just arrived from Boston and is crowded with travel-worn passengers. 2. The train from Boston has just arived filled with worn out passengers. I hope this helps, Jerry (Teacher/Tutor)
zuotengdazuo
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese