Carmen
How is '가족이 어떠게되세요?' interpreted to Korean speakers? The textbook I'm studying gave this question as an example with an answer to follow and their interpretations. The interpretations don't appear to make sense to me given what I've learned so far and how native English speakers converse. The author says: Question: 가족이 어떠게되세요? means "What is your family like?" Answer: 부모님, 누나, 제가있어요. means "There's my parents, my elder sister, and I." This conversation is unusual since in English if we wanted to know that information we would ask "Who is in your family?" If we wanted to know if your family is fun, exciting, boring, or conservative then we would ask "What is your family like?" Would it be more correct to say this question is asking something closer to "How is your family composed?" or "Who is in your family?" Thanks for the help!
2
1
I agree with you. "가족이 어떻게 되세요?" means "Who is in your family?" "어떻게 되세요?" can be used with other nouns like '전화번호', '나이', '사이즈', etc. e.g. 전화번호가 어떻게 되세요? (What is your phone number?) 나이가 어떻게 되세요? (How old are you?) 사이즈가 어떻게 되세요? (What is your size?) "어떻게 되세요?" is a polite way to ask those questions. Hope it helps and please follow me at koreanclass.canada on Instagram!
Carmen
English, French, Korean
Korean