Pelin
When do you say these? Can you explain the difference with examples? What if it changed? What if it has changed? What if it had changed?
2
0
Without the “what if” part, “changed” is past tense, “has changed” is present perfect, and “had changed” is past perfect. Those would be easy enough to describe. But adding the hypothetical “what if” makes the time frames of those sentences much more similar. “What if it changed?” could actually refer to something that had already changed in the past or something that could change in the future. The response still has to be about what the responder will or might do in the future. “What if is has changed?” Has to refer to a change that has happened by the time the question is asked. The response to this also has to refer to future actions that the responder will or might do in the future. “What if it had changed?” Refers to a change in the past and what actions would someone have taken after that change but those actions were in the past too. The response to that question would typically be something like “Well then I would have ...”.
1. Simple Past Tense - the action occurred and was finished in the past, e.g. I changed my mind yesterday. 2. Present Perfect Tense - the action started in the past and continued to the present time, e.g. I have changed my mind yesterday and I still think I'm right. 3. Past Perfect Tense - the action was completed in the past but occurred before something else happened, e.g. I had changed my mind before she argued with me.
Pelin
English, Turkish