Check out our updated Community
Adrian
Help understanding this sentence! Hi all! I was listening to a song “No me conoce” by Jhay Cortez. In the chorus he says “ Se hace la que no me conoce” this would translate to something like “ she acts like she doesn’t know me”. However I don’t understand why the extra “la” is there? I know that the “la” is referring to “her” but what is the reasoning and what grammar rule would this fall under ?
It is used to distinguish who is directed. For example he talks about her, a woman who says she doesn't know him. In a nutshell to let him know that he talks about her and not about him or something.
In this case Cortéz is using a "subordinate sentence" Se hace (la que no me conoce) Subordinate sentences can be used as nouns or adjetives. Ej: Compró (lo que no debía) ► Compró (eso) (Los que murieron) eran jóvenes ► (Ellos) eran jóvenes You use "la que" "las que" "los que" "lo que" in this constructions.
If you say " she acts like crazy " you will say " se hace la loca" in this case his saying that shes acting like she doesnt know him, " se hace la que no me conoce"
Adrian
English, Greek, Spanish
Spanish